With nine picks in the 2022 draft, the 49ers appear to be well positioned to swap up the draft to ensure they land a player they covet.
Some extremely enticing prospects are expected to come off the board somewhere near the top end of the second round. Think of players like Arnold Ebiketie, Nik Bonitto, Jaquan Brisker, Christian Watson, etc.
If the 49ers want a realistic shot at moving up and grabbing one of these players, they will have to jump up from where they are currently slated to pick at 61. So what exactly will it do? cost to make that kind of move and jump 15-20 seats up in the draft?
The 49ers made a leap like this early on Day 2 of 2018, swapping choices 59 and 74 for the Washington Commanders in exchange for choice 44, choosing wide receiver Dante Pettis.
Although the 49ers do not have the same package to offer this season, they still have an extra pick in the third round at 105. Unfortunately, there is not much precedent in recent drafts for a team skipping 20 places in the second round, so I would be hesitant to expect the 49ers were the ones who would break that shape.
A big leap into the late 30s is probably out of the question, but moving ten places up or around is definitely on the table for the 49ers.
A sort of combination of choices 61 paired with either 93 and 105 is certainly within the possibilities when discussing realistic trading scenarios in a potential attempt to advance the draft order. Recently, in 2020, the New England Patriots jumped up 11 spots from 71 to 60 at the expense of sending choices 71 and 98 to Baltimore. They also obtained a choice in the 4th round in return from the Ravens in this deal.
In recent years, a similar deal was near this row in 2020, when Seattle abandoned choices 59 and 101 to move up 11 seats to pick up 48. Another similar transaction took place in the same draft when the Patriots moved up 11 seats from 56 to 45 at. the price for pick 101.
Keep in mind that the 49ers’ ace up their sleeve is the compensatory choice in the third round, the 105th choice in the 2022 draft.
A pairing of pick 61 and 105 could be exactly the ammunition the 49ers need to make it jump up about ten spots. This would allow them to erase any chance of missing a player they desire which fell within that area while also knowing it even after the deal. They would still have a third-round pick at election 93.
But what if they would rather jump from election 93 and land somewhere between there and their first election at 61. Last year, the Saints sent election 98 & 105 to Denver in exchange for the 76th election. The 49ers could offer better compensation than with their pair of third-rounders this year if they have ambitions to jump 20 or so places into the mid-70s.
Last season, we saw the 49ers exchange 117 and 121 for the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for 88, where they picked back-up Trey Sermon.
While the 49ers only have one pick in round four this time around, they can still likely pack this pick for 134 with their pick at 105 in a deal to move up that interval. This would be extremely important to have in your back pocket if you were planning to include your choice of 93 in an agreement to move up earlier in the draft.
The 49ers have the assets to take a reasonable step up from any of the three positions they are expected to pick on day two. Therefore, moving up will be a very appealing option with the flexibility of knowing that no matter what choice you part with, you will probably still make two of the three choices you were originally meant to make on day two.
To help paint a better picture of what it’s going to cost the 49s to move around on day two, I went back and took a closer look at the last three drafts. I then recorded all the trades on day two from each draft listed below, starting with the 2021 season.
- The Broncos swapped choices 40 and 114 for the Falcons in exchange for choices 35 and 219
- The Patriots swapped elections 46, 122 and 139 for the Bengalis in exchange for election 38
- The Bears swapped picks 52, 83 and 204 for the Panthers in exchange for picks 39 and 151
The Dolphins swapped election 50 and 2022 3rd round for the Giants in exchange for election 42
- The Raiders traded 48 & 121 to 49ers in exchange for 43 & 230
The Browns swapped choices 59 and 89 for the Panthers in exchange for choices 52 and 113
- The Panthers swap choices 73 and 191 for the Eagles in exchange for choice 70
- The Giants swap choices 76 and 164 for the Broncos in exchange for choice 71
- The Saints swapped choices 98 and 105 for the Broncos in exchange for choice 76
- Packers swapped picks 92 & 135 for the Titans in exchange for pick 85
- The 49ers swapped choices 117 and 121 for the Rams in exchange for choice 88
- The Colts switched choices 44 and 160 to the Browns in exchange for choice 41
The Seahawks swap options 59 and 101 for the Jets in exchange for option 48
- The Patriots switch selections 71 and 98 to the Ravens in exchange for selections 60 and 129
- The Panthers swap choices 69 and 148 for the Seahawks in exchange for choice 64
- The Saints switch selections 88 and 91 to the Browns in exchange for selections 74 and 244
- Lions swap choices 85, 149 and 182 for the Colts in exchange for choices 75 and 197
- The Patriots swap choices 100, 129 and 172 for the Raiders in exchange for choices 91 and 159
- The Patriots swap options 125, 129 and 186 for the Jets in exchange for election 101
- The Saints exchange choices 130, 169, 203 and 244 for the Vikings in exchange for choice 105
- The Jaguars swap selections 38 and 109 for the Raiders in exchange for selections 35, 140 and 235
- The Panthers swap choices 47 and 77 for the Seahawks in exchange for choice 37
- Bills swaps choices 40 and 158 for the Raiders in exchange for choice 38
- The Broncos swap choices 52, 125 and 182 for the Bengals in exchange for choice 42
- The Patriots switch selections 56 and 101 to the Rams in exchange for selection 45
- The Browns swap options 49 and 144 for the Colts in exchange for option 46
- The Saints swapped picks 62, 202 and 2020 2nd round for the Dolphins in exchange for picks 48 and 116
- The Chiefs swapped choices 61 and 167 for the Rams in exchange for choice 56
- The Seahawks swapped choices 77 and 118 for the Patriots in exchange for choice 64
- The Rams swapped choices 94 and 99 for the Buccaneers in exchange for choice 70
- The Bears swapped picks 87, 162 and 2020 4th round for the Patriots in exchange for picks 73 and 205
- Lions swapped choices 88 and 204 for Vikings in exchange for choice 81
- The Seahawks traded selections 92 and 159 for the Vikings in exchange for selections 88 and 209
- The Jets swapped choices 93 and 217 for the Vikings in exchange for choice 92
- Ravne exchanged choices 102, 192 and 193 for Vikings in exchange for choice 93
- Banknotes traded pick 112 & 131 to Commanders in exchange for pick 96
- The Rams swapped choices 101 and 133 for the Patriots in exchange for choices 97 and 162
- The Bengals exchange picks 110 & 183 for 49ers in exchange for pick 104
- The Saints swap choices 116 and 168 for the Jets in exchange for choice 105