Ukraine says it has recaptured the city of Brovary, but warns of Russian mines | Ukraine

A key city east of the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, has been recaptured by Russian forces, Ukrainian officials have said, but withdrawing troops are said to have greatly mined the lost territory in their wake.

The city of Brovary was said by its mayor to have been liberated by Ukrainian forces working to drive out the last Russian troops and clear the area of ​​”military hardware”.

The latest success, 12 miles east of Kiev, came when Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy warned that Russian forces were creating “a complete disaster” by leaving mines on houses and corpses as they withdrew.

Russia has continued to withdraw some of its land forces from areas around the capital after saying earlier in the week that it would reduce military activity near the Ukrainian capital and the northern city of Chernihiv.

But in his regular speech in the early hours of Saturday, Zelenskiy said the satellite towns around the city were arbitrarily captured.

He said: “They are mining the whole territory. They are mining homes, mining equipment, even the bodies of people who were killed. There are many stumbling blocks, a lot of other dangers.”

Russian forces leave traps during retreat, warns Ukrainian president – video

Amid reports of missile strikes on central Ukrainian cities of Poltava and Kremenchuk on Saturday morning, Zelenskiy said the Russians withdrew “slowly but noticeably”.

He begged Russian families not to let their young men enlist in the army when the Kremlin’s annual military service began.

“We do not need more dead people here. Save your children so they do not become villains. Do not send them to the army. Do what you can to keep them alive. Keep them at home, ”he said, adding that he believed Russia was trying to recruit conscripts from Crimea.

Ukraine’s military said on Friday it had recaptured 29 settlements in the Kyiv and Chernihiv regions.

But Ukraine and its allies warned that the Kremlin was not de-escalating to promote confidence at the negotiating table, as it claimed, but instead to supply and move its troops to the east of the country.

These movements appear to be in preparation for an intensified attack on the self-proclaimed republics of the predominantly Russian-speaking Donbas in eastern Ukraine, which includes Mariupol.

Zelenskiy did not say anything about the latest round of talks, which took place on Friday by video. At a round of negotiations earlier this week, Ukraine said it would be willing to abandon an attempt to join NATO and declare itself neutral – Moscow’s key demands – in return for security guarantees from several other countries.

The invasion has left thousands dead and driven more than 4 million refugees from Ukraine.

Mariupol, the shattered and besieged southern port city, has experienced some of the worst suffering of the war. Its conquest would be a major award for Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is giving his country an unbroken land bridge to Crimea, which was seized from Ukraine in 2014.

On Friday, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said it was unable to carry out an operation to bring civilians out of Mariupol by bus. City officials said the Russians were blocking access to the city.

“We do not see a real desire on the part of the Russians and their satellites to allow Mariupol residents to evacuate to territory controlled by Ukraine,” Petro Andryushchenko, adviser to Mariupol’s mayor, wrote on the Telegram messaging app.

He said Russian forces “categorically do not allow any humanitarian cargo, even in small quantities, into the city.”

About 100,000 people are believed to remain in the city, down from 430,000 before the war. Weeks of Russian bombing and street fighting have caused severe shortages of water, food, fuel and medicine.

“We are running out of adjectives to describe the horrors suffered by the residents of Mariupol,” said Ewan Watson, a spokesman for the Red Cross.

On Thursday, Russian forces blocked a convoy of 45 buses trying to evacuate people from Mariupol and seized 14 tons of food and medical supplies on its way to the city, Ukrainian authorities said.

Zelenskiy said more than 3,000 people were able to leave Mariupol on Friday. He said he discussed the humanitarian catastrophe with French President Emmanuel Macron by telephone and with European Parliament President Roberta Metsola during her visit to Kiev.

“Europe has no right to remain silent about what is happening in our Mariupol,” Zelenskiy said. “The whole world should respond to this humanitarian catastrophe.”

Leave a Comment