The Cowboys’ Kelvin Joseph was in suspected vehicle for homicide but did not shoot, lawyer said

Cowboys cornerback Kelvin Joseph was a passenger in a vehicle from which several shots were fired last month, killing a man in the Old East Dallas area, but Joseph was unarmed and did not kill the man, his lawyer said. Dallas Morning News on Friday.

Dallas police want to interview Joseph, 22, about his involvement in the death of Cameron Ray, a 20-year-old who was shot early March 18. Joseph and Ray were out with separate groups of friends. According to surveillance video footage released by Dallas police this week, the groups were involved in a clash around 6 p.m. 01.45 outside a nightclub and bar on the 3600 block of Greenville Avenue at Martel Avenue.

Footage shows that shortly after the fight, a black SUV drove past Ray and his group of friends, and shots were fired from at least one of the vehicle’s windows. Ray was transported to a hospital where he died.

The Cowboys drafted Joseph, who played in LSU and Kentucky, in the second round last year.

“Kelvin Joseph did not shoot Cameron Ray,” said Barry Sorrels, Joseph’s attorney. “Mr. Ray’s death is a tragedy, and Kelvin expresses his deepest condolences for the loss of the family. On the night of March 17, Kelvin was unarmed and was not looking for violence. He found himself in a situation that escalated without his knowledge or consent.

“Along with condolences to the Ray family, Kelvin apologizes to the Dallas community for being near this type of incident. The investigation is ongoing and we intend to respect the process.”

Sorrels declined to give any details related to Joseph’s speech to police, saying he would take up the matter “later and at a more appropriate time.”

For the first time, the Cowboys publicly addressed the investigation last Friday in a statement given to the news.

“The Dallas Cowboys are aware of the tragic incident that took place in Dallas on March 18. First of all, our hearts go out to Mr. Ray’s family and loved ones. The organization is aware of Kelvin Joseph’s possible connection to this incident. We are in contact Dallas law enforcement and have warned the NFL office. We have no further comments at this time. “

An NFL spokesman said the matter is “under review by the league’s personal conduct policy.”

The fact that Dallas police asked for public help suggests that Joseph went weeks without contacting police about what he knows about the shooting and those involved. Texas party law could potentially lead to charges for anyone who was in the SUV at the time of the shooting.

Earlier this week, Dallas police requested public assistance to identify the six men involved in the riots with Ray’s group outside the OT Tavern. Joseph was identified as sharing similar facial features as a man in the video wearing a necklace that appears to have the letters “YKDV” inserted on a medallion. On Friday, they released the video of the men.

Joseph has a rapper pseudonym, YKDV Bossman Fat, who precedes his time in the NFL. YKDV stands for “You Know Da Vibe.”

Joseph played sparingly as a rookie for the Cowboys, beginning the 2021 season on injured reserve with a groin disease he suffered during a showdown on Aug. 29 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Throughout the team’s first 14 games, he appeared in seven and played only 14 defensive snaps, contributing most on special teams. He started two of the last three games of the regular season and ended the year with 16 tackles and two defensive passes.

This is the latest in several off-season issues for the Dallas Cowboys. A woman sued Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, saying she is his daughter. Jones claimed she blackmailed him, which her lawyers denied. A multimillion-dollar settlement with the team’s cheerleaders after allegations of voyeurism came to light, as well as a lawsuit over a videotape of a sexual encounter involving one of Jones’ sons.

Also on Friday, the city of Dallas threatened with a lawsuit against properties on Greenville Avenue near where Ray was shot. An assistant city attorney in Dallas wrote in a letter this week that the properties, which include the OT Tavern and Bar 3606, have repeatedly been the site of crimes in the past, adding that the city is now ready to file a lawsuit if the properties “fails to remedy the crime.”

The letter cites seven crimes on these properties since 2018, which include the March assassination, two aggravated assault, one sexual assault, two criminal misdemeanors and one charge related to the firing of a firearm. Four of these crimes have taken place over the past month, according to the letter.

The property owners could not be immediately reached Friday for comment.

Councilman Paul Ridley also plans to file a protest against Bar 3606 before applying to renew his Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission license this summer, according to his office. Ridley called on the city to take legal action against the two bars, his office said.

Leave a Comment